February 16, 2023
Blight is the number one disease in the garden. In this article, you will find solutions to avoid it.
Blight or Phytophthora infestans is a devastating disease in the garden, due to a fungus.
It is prevalent especially in summers with a lot of rain and temperatures between 10 and 25°C. By contrast, a hot, dry summer hinders the spread of this disease.
Treatments exist, but the risk of an outbreak can be reduced by using resistant varieties and taking certain steps:
• Use healthy seeds or young plants, bought at a store,
• Avoid planting close to a potato crop, as well as petunias, ornamental tobaccos, bell peppers, and eggplant which are potential hosts for Phytophthora infestans,
• Ensure that no diseased potato tubercules remain in the soil,
• Under shelter, ventilate crops as much as possible to avoid high humidity,
• Do not water the leaves but the base,
• Remove diseased leaves as needed and burn them.
Discover by clicking on the button the range of blight resistance tomatoes, composed of eight tasty fruits with various shapes and colors!